Okay, that wasn’t any fun at all.

First off let me say that Xanax and I have broken up. The bastard deserted me today.  But I digress.

Mom and I made good time to La Jolla this morning.  We got their 15 minutes early and met up with my favorite nurse Tracy.  She gave me more paperwork to fill out and handed the remote to my mom so she could watch QVC again.  Since we were the only ones there, we went back together and Tracy got me hooked up with the IV catheter.  Dr. Thompson came in and told me about the procedure.

They took me into the room and ran the wand over me to make sure I didn’t have any metal and then into the MRI room.  Once I was there, I climbed up on the table and dropped the girls into the holes.  Once I positioned my head, they began clamping both of them so they wouldn’t move.  They slid me into the tube and began the first scan.  After a few minutes the injected the contrasting liquid so they could find the spots again.

They pulled me out of the tube and cleaned me off with the Betadine and then started injecting the lidocaine.  This time there was pain.  Once both sides were numb, they then inserted the catheters for the needles.  Unfortunately, the two on the left were causing me a lot of pain so he had to give me double the dosage.  As I’m laying there, I told them that I was breaking out in a cold sweat.  They put ice packs on my neck and back which helped.  The whole time I was laying there my left arm was getting a nerved pinched and I started losing feeling in my arm.  The worst part; I couldn’t move it at all.  Again, I’m slid into the tube so they could make sure the catheters were placed correctly.  Once that was confirmed, Dr. Thompson came in and proceeded with the taking the samples.  Well apparently the lidocaine in my left breast wasn’t enough and he had to give me more.  Taking all three samples felt like forever.  Before they were done, more markers were put in place in each location.   I slid back into the tube one more time and then I was finished.  Tracy came back and proceeded to remove the catheters.  Again more pain.  Bev, the gal I met during the Genetic counseling meeting, came in to assist Tracy with getting me off the table.  They each had to hold pressure on each of my breast while I lifted me self up.  Finally, blood was flowing back into my left arm.  Apparently the biopsy also caused a lot of bleeding to they had to keep pressure on my breast.

When I was finally able get my self up, I was very weak so they had to put me in a wheelchair.  Because of my cold sweat, they had to also give me an IV.  Once I was settled in the chair, they moved me to another room to lay down on a table on my back.  Now this was the worst.  They had to make sure any clots were squeezed out.  OMG, that was excruciating.   So much so I had to do Lamaze breathing.  Once they were done,  they had me sit up.  Instead of bandages or stitches, the holes were sealed with super glue (Durabond).  I was given ice packs and then wheeled over to the Breast Center for a mammogram.  Dear God, how much more squeezing could these girls take?  It wasn’t too bad.  When it was over, Dr. Thompson came back in and said everything went very well.

I got dressed and Mom and I came home.  Unfortunately I can only take Tylenol for pain.   I’ll just keep icing down the girls to keep the swelling down and hope the pain subsides.  Since one of the biopsies was close to my nipple, I get to look forward to bloody discharge from that nipple.  Sorry if that was TMI.  🙂

Tracy had mentioned that I might be able to get my results on Sunday but Dr. Thompson said no.  Dr. Wilde wants to give them to me so I won’t find out anything until Monday when I go see her at 3:45.

I’m just going to pop in my Golden Girl DVD’s, put ice packs on the girls and try and sleep.  More Monday night.


One thought on “Okay, that wasn’t any fun at all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s